[carousel autoplay="6600" speed="3000"]

 

The History Of Lunken Airport

1788

Columbia, now the area occupied by Lunken Airport, became the first settlement in the Cincinnati area.

1921

Dixie Davis begins teaching flying lessons.

1925

Dixie Davis establishes a permanent airfield at Lunken.

T. Embry and J. Paul Riddle found the Embry-Riddle Company.

The City of Cincinnati accepts the land gift of Lunken Airfield.

1927

Charles Lindbergh, a 26-year-old air-mail pilot, makes his historic non-stop flight across the Atlantic Ocean. Lindbergh flies his Ryan monoplane, the Spirit of St. Louis, from New York to Paris in 33 hours and 29 minutes.

Lindbergh lands at Lunken airfield to and from New York to refuel where he is mobbed by well-wishers.

Embry Riddle Co. (located at Lunken) is awarded one of the earliest U.S.air mail contracts.

The Sikorsky S-29A, “The Flying Cigar Store” is a frequent visitor to Lunken selling cigars, watches, razors, lipsticks, etc.

Cincinnati purchases 870 acres through a bond issue. Lunken now occupies approximately 1000 acres.

1928

Embry-Riddle, operating 10 aircraft at Lunken, became a subsidiary of AVCO, a parent of American Airlines.

The Flamingo, one of the first all metal monoplanes built in America, is produced at Lunken by Metal Aircraft Company.

1930

Formal dedication of Lunken Airport takes place. A three-day celebration includes notables such as Howard Hughes, Jimmy Doolittle, Freddie Lund, Cincinnati Air Corps Reserves and Jean Harlow.

Lunken Airport is dedicated as the largest municipal airport in the world.

1937

The new terminal is completed and serves as an active airline terminal until January 1947.

1940s

American Airlines is born at Lunken Airport.

1964

The Beatles arrive at Lunken Airport for their concert at Crosley Field.